One of the most regular complaints about Gmail is the difficulty in quickly viewing your unread messages. The simplest solution is to do the following:
1) In the Search bar at the top, enter one of the following:
2) Click on “Search Mail”. You will now be presented with all of your unread emails.
However, at times when I really need to access my unread mail quickly, I often forget these commands – and have to search online for them – which defeats the whole purpose of saving time. So here’s a method of creating a permanent link to your unread messages – that you can then access with one mouse-click.
1) Go to Settings -> Labs, and enable the “Quick Links” feature.
2) You will now see a new “Quick Links” menu on the left-hand side of the screen (above “Invite a friend”).
3) Follow the same “Search Mail” steps above… then, with the unread messages on screen, select “Add a Quick Link” in the new menu.
4) Save the Quick Link as “Unread Messages” (or whatever you prefer) and you now have one-click access to all unread mail.